[Dovecot] Quota for Shared Folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 17 04:33:16 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 02:39 +0200, Anton Dollmaier wrote:
> As my tests have shown, dovecot uses a different approach to the
> quota-issue: users can always move their mails from local folders to the
> shared namespace, regardless of the shared quota. The quota itself is
> only checked when receiving new mails, where the combined quota (local +
> shared) may not be exceeded. If it is, the mail is not delivered to the
> mailbox.

Actually virtual Dovecot quota completely ignores shared/public
namespaces currently. The only reason why you seem to notice a "combined
quota" is most likely because of filesystem quota limit exceeding.

So I suppose there needs to be some kind of a per-namespace quota that
could be defined.. Maybe something like:

quota = maildir:Shared quota:ns=shared/
quota_rule = *:storage=200M

Yes, that looked like an easy thing to implement. Added to v1.2:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/16c286aee307