[Dovecot] Postfix, Dovecot SASL and Entourage smtps authentication fails.

Mart Pirita mart at e-positive.ee
Fri Apr 17 10:06:38 EEST 2009

Tere.

> If you had changed the mechanisms=plain default, it would have shown
> up here (and you can see that also with dovecot -a). So something's
> wrong in that setting.

Hmm, You are right, postfix install inserted into config lines:

# Postfix - suggested configuration taken from SASL_README
(2.3.2).
    mechanisms = plain
login

  socket listen
{

    client
{

      path =
/var/spool/postfix/private/auth

      mode =
0660

      user =
postfix

      group =
postfix

}

  }

But right after this comes next, old part:

  # Space separated list of wanted authentication
mechanisms:
  #   plain login digest-md5 cram-md5 ntlm rpa apop anonymous gssapi otp
skey
  #
gss-spnego

  # NOTE: See also disable_plaintext_auth
setting.
  mechanisms =
plain

And Dovecot accepts the last one:(.

So it's my mistake, but I was taught, that Dovecot always give error on
startup, if any double config lines exist.

Now dovecot -n looks better:

auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  cache_size: 1024
  failure_delay: 3
  passdb:
    driver: pam
    args: cache_key=%u%r%s dovecot
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix

And also shows up:

50-PIPELINING
250-SIZE
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

And Entourage works fine. Also with smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes settings.

Super.

Thank You Timo!

--
Mart