[Dovecot] 0 mails available even if mails in mailbox

Raphael Thoma raphithom at gmx.ch
Fri Apr 17 16:27:21 EEST 2009

Hello

We are currently facing the problem, that dovecot doesn't return any
messages (Pop3: +OK 0 messages) even if there are messages in the cur
and new directory (maildir format). The logfile does not contain any
information other than login/logout.

After I deleted the dovecot.index file, all messages are available and
everything works as expected. According to the wiki page [1] the main
index file should be synchronized when the cur and new timestamps
changed. I suppose this synchronization doesn't work correctly because
the problem still existed after I changed the timestamps manually.

Dovecot version: 10.0.14
Operating System: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p1
CPU Arch: amd64
Filesystem: NFS
Clients: The problem exists on Pop3 and IMAP. It doesn't matter which
client. I could reproduce the problem on outlook, thunderbird and even
on telnet.

Reproduced:

+OK Dovecot ready.
user user at domain.com
+OK
pass password
+OK Logged in.
list
+OK 0 messages:

After deleting dovecot.index:

+OK Dovecot ready.
user user at domain.com
+OK
pass password
+OK Logged in.
list
+OK 20 messages:

It seems to be a problem with the index-file from dovecot which doesn't
seem to be synchronized.

What could be the reason for this behaviour? How can we fix this issue
for all customers?

Kind regards
Raphael Thoma

[1] http://wiki.dovecot.org/IndexFiles