[Dovecot] Setup Question

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Fri Apr 17 19:10:39 EEST 2009

On 4/17/2009 8:46 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>
>>  2. Have all mail delivered for each user to the "/home/vmail/<user>/"
>>     directory.  All mail will be owned by vmail, but that is okay
>>     since Dovecot is the only thing touching the mail files anyway.
> ..
>>  6. Copy the current users mail to the new vmail location.  What is
>>     the best way to copy it preserving date and time stamps on the mail?
>
> cp -a
>
>>  userdb:
>>    driver: passwd
>
> You'll probably want to use userdb static now. Or if deliver needs to
> verify that the user exists, use something like:
>
> userdb passwd {
>   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/vmail/user/
> }

I don't know if deliver would need to know if the user exists.  If I
decide to go with the example above, would the home directory be
/home/vmail/%u or would it be as you entered above?

Also, when I do the cp -a command to copy the mail over, I also need to
change all ownership to vmail:vmail, correct?

Thanks for all of your help with this.

Jeff