[Dovecot] For the record: Postfix+Spamassassin+ClamAV+Dovecot

James Butler jbutler at thebestdefense.com
Fri Apr 17 21:58:07 EEST 2009

Postfix 2.5.5
SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (under Perl 5.10.0)
ClamAV 0.95.1
Dovecot 1.2.rc2

works fine on Fedora 10.

Installed Dovecot and ClamAV from source and everything else using yum.

I'm using the ClamAV plugin for Spamassassin:
 http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ClamAVPlugin

I'm calling Spamassassin with:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/spamc -f -e /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver

Postfix hands off to Spamassassin, which processes ALL mail (not just
attachments) through the ClamAV plugin before parsing for spam, and then
hands the whole mess off to Dovecot for 'deliver' to handle.

How simple is that?

Since ClamAV scanns all mail, it might be too processor-intensive for
really large mail systems, but it is working great for our 120+ user
system with lots of spam coming in. If you're using Procmail or some other
preprocessor that can hand off to a pipe, then you could skip the plugin
and pipe messages over a certain size (i.e. >1024) to clamd, instead.

Enjoy!

James