[Dovecot] Setup Question

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Fri Apr 17 22:39:31 EEST 2009

On 4/17/2009 8:14 AM, Jeff Grossman wrote:
> I really want to try and get this plus addressing working correctly
> with Dovecot and Postfix.  After doing some reading I think I am going
> to change my Postfix setup from mailbox_command to mailbox_transport.
> I have a few questions to make sure I am thinking correctly.  All of
> my users are system users.  Their mail is delivered directly to their
> "/home/<user>/Maildir" directory.  Everything works great and I have
> no problems.  Here is what I am thinking of doing.
>
>   1. Create a new vmail user and group.
>   2. Have all mail delivered for each user to the "/home/vmail/<user>/"
>      directory.  All mail will be owned by vmail, but that is okay
>      since Dovecot is the only thing touching the mail files anyway.
>   3. Change the mail_location setting in dovecot.conf to "mail_location
>      = /home/vmail/%u
>   4. Uncomment the auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>      setting in dovecot.conf
>   5. Switch Postfix's main.cf to use "mailbox_transport = dovecot" and
>      put the following line in master.cf:
>         1. dovecot unix - n n - - pipe
>            flags=DR user=vmail:vmail
>            argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d
>            ${recipient} -n -m ${extension}
>   6. Copy the current users mail to the new vmail location.  What is
>      the best way to copy it preserving date and time stamps on the mail?
>
> Did I cover all of the steps are am I missing something?  Here is a
> copy of my current dovecot -n output.  Thanks for any help you can
> offer me.
Okay, I made the change to using mailbox_transport instead of
mailbox_command in Postfix.  I followed the above steps only having to
change one thing.  Line 5.1 was wrong.  I needed it to say "-d ${user}"
instead of recipient.  It was looking for user at domain instead of just
user which is was exists in my userdb file.  I decided against putting
everything in "/home/vmail/domain/user" because when I would log in via
IMAP it didn't know my domain name.  I am assuming that is once again
because my userdb only has user names and not domains.  Just I just went
with "/home/vmail/user" and it is working.  I don't think I will be
using more than one domain, so it should be fine.

Thanks for everybody's help with this.  Rather painless.  The only
problem I had was with the user name but I got it resolved.

Jeff