[Dovecot] Mail replication

Renaud Allard renaud at allard.it
Sat Apr 18 19:41:09 EEST 2009

Hello,

I am running an asynchronously replicated mail setup. 2 servers are each
running an smtp server which uses dovecot as the LDA.
I am using unison to replicate mail files between servers.
Before, I was using Maildir format and after reading so much good papers
about the very good performance of dbox format, I decided to switch to dbox.
However, I now have a very annoying problem, as mails are created with
names like u.1234 and numbers are following each others. So, if there is
for example a mail stored as u.1001 on both servers, and now 2 mails
arrive at about the same time, 1 on each server. Then, they will both be
created as u.1002, that means unison will encounter a conflict as both
files are different.
So my question would be, is there a way to tell the servers to increment
by 2 instead of 1 and have each an offset (like you can do with mysql
with auto incrementing tables for example)? That way, with former
example, one mail would be stored as u.1002 and the other as u.1003.

Thanks