[Dovecot] [SIEVE: Redirect] Double ">" in forwarded envelop sender address => Gmail syntax error

Stephan Bosch s.bosch at utwente.nl
Mon Apr 20 18:02:22 EEST 2009

Toorop wrote:
> Plateform: gentoo + qmail
>
> My deliver line is in a .qmail-USER file:
> |/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f ${SENDER:-<>} -d
> user at domain.tld
>
> I notice that sieve implementation in Dovecot use double ">" for the
> envelop sender when there is a redirect command in sieve script.
> (i've tried preline -f, without -f ${SENDER:-<>},... but nothing change
> for the the envelop sender syntax, alway the double ">")
>
> And that fact breaks forwardin to Gmail.
> Gmail reply that there is a syntax error probably due to the double "<<"
> (<<address>> and not <address>) as we can see in the log behind:
>
> Dovecot logs:
> deliver(stephane at XXXX): Apr 20 16:06:44 Info: Sending a forward to
> <XXXX at gmail.com> with return path <<stephane at XXXXXX>>
> deliver(stephane at XXXXX: Apr 20 16:06:44 Info:
> msgid=<49EC816D.9090403 at XXXXX.com>: forwarded to <XXXXX at gmail.com>
By the looks of the deliver code in

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/file/1.1.14/src/deliver/mail-send.c

at line 178, the return path is not taken from the -f parameter for
forwarded messages. It is in stead extracted from the message itself and
the  address is not normalized, meaning that any surrounding <> will
still exist.

The only way I can see this could manifest is when your sendmail does
not normalize its -f parameter and tries to issue this address in the
SMTP MAIL FROM: command with additional '< >'. That is all I can think
of right now...

Timo, what's your opinion?

BTW, this problem sounds familiar.. haven't we seen this one earlier?

Regards,

Stephan.