[Dovecot] 0 mails available even if mails in mailbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 20 19:42:11 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 15:17 +0200, Raphael Thoma wrote:
> > Did you check that the timestamp also really changes in the server
> > Dovecot was running on? Could be a NFS caching problem.
>
> It took a few seconds until the new timestamp came up on the
> dovecot-server, but it still didn't work after the new timestamp was
> available. I still got the message that there are 0 messages available
> even there are some mails in the cur/new dir...

Well, that is weird. If timestamp changes, Dovecot makes sure that it
has all the changes in the index file. The only possibility that I can
think of for it not noticing new mails is because it doesn't see that
the timestamp changes..

You could check with idxview what the index files contain. idxview is in
included in Dovecot's libexec directory (where imap etc. binaries are).
For example:

/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/idxview ~/Maildir

What does it show in "sync stamp" line?

Also you mentioned you're using Dovecot v10.0.14, which I guess means
v1.0.14. You could see if v1.1 happens to work better. It also uses
different/better timestamping in index files than v1.0.