[Dovecot] Strange behaivour with extended characters

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 20 20:35:27 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 12:20 -0500, Armando Soto Baeza wrote:
> When receving mail with extended (not only japanese) characters in the
> subject, Outlook Express does not recognize them. Most of our users do not
> use OE, but most of the japanese do. This is not all. When extended chars
> are also in the body, they look well when the maqil still arrives, but if
> forwarded to another account, or when mail is an answer to another,
> extended characters are not well displayed.

None of these really sound like a Dovecot problem. Dovecot doesn't do
any kind of character set decoding/translation/anything really when
sending messages to clients. That's only done in the SEARCH command
(which OE never uses anyway).

If this is somehow related to Dovecot, it's because of ENVELOPE and/or
BODY/BODYSTRUCTURE replies. I don't know if OE uses these. It might be
helpful to look at the IMAP traffic using e.g. rawlog
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog.

> Somebody has seen such a behaivour and solved it? I was thinking to change
> dovecot for another agent, but will be happier using dovecot. Any
> suggestion?

You also didn't mention what Dovecot version you're using.