[Dovecot] server is not imap4 compatible

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 22 17:25:41 EEST 2009

On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:12 AM, marco ghidinelli wrote:

>>> Apr 20 16:21:17 harlock dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: Shutting
>>> down: rip=192.168.0.194, lip=10.70.0.1, TLS handshake
>>
>> "Shutting down" means that Dovecot really is being shut down or
>> restarted. Is this not an expected restart? Does it happen at the
>> same
>> time always? Maybe it's some cron job.
>
> no, of course this was NOT an expected restart.
> i thought that it was a normal disconnection between the client and
> the server.
>
> the "shutting down" messages appeared even on the previous 1.0.rc15
> version, but not the "server not imap4 compatible" error.
>
> or maybe my users didn't tell me.  :)
>
> any idea?

My idea is still the same: Client gets unexpectedly disconnected due
to Dovecot restart and the client thinks it's not connected to IMAP4
server. Try to figure out why Dovecot is getting restarted. It's not
doing it alone. Do you see "starting up" lines in logs showing that
the whole Dovecot was restarted? If not, do you see any "killed by
signal" lines in logs? Perhaps the whole Dovecot isn't being
restarted, but just some buggy script/program is sending SIGTERMs to
imap-login processes more or less randomly for some reason..