[Dovecot] FTS Plugin design

Rui Carneiro rui.arc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:51:45 EEST 2009

Hi,

Almost full text search engines (C/C++) I looked (Swish-E, Wumpus, Lemur and
Xapian) do not use any kind of library or parser. Instead, they use other
applications like pdftotext, catdoc, catppt (etc) and call them with execvp
(or equivalent). Using this approach on my project have some pros and cons:

Pros:
- The existing libraries to extract the content of pdf, doc (etc) are not
very stable.
- Easier to handle errors (even if those applications crash dovecot will be
still running)
- Less developing time

Cons:
- Some programs to parse special formats (p.e. catppt and pdftotext) do not
accept input from stdin (we need to create temporary files).

What approach would be better? Using applications like pdftotext and catdoc
or, on the other hand, use their libraries and do it almost from scratch?

Regards
Rui Carneiro

--
mobile: +351 963446125