[Dovecot] Virtual mailboxes, howto, examples, help? =)

Brandon Lamb brandonlamb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:54:14 EEST 2009

Using 1.2rc3
maildir format
maildir /mail/example.com/j/johndoe/{cur,new,tmp}

Is there more documentation and examples on how to configure virtual
mailboxes, or maybe more info on what it is suppose to do? From what I
could understand on the wiki, i could create a fake/virtual folder
under /mail/example.com/j/johndoe/virtual/allmail/ and inside that dir
create dovecot-virtual with

INBOX
 all

And then in my mail client i would see virtual/allmail and when i
click that folder it shows me mail from all my normal maildir folders?
Is my thinking of how to use virtual mailboxes totally off, or am I
trying to use it for what it is suppose to be used for?

So far i have been messing with various values = yes/no using the following

namespace private {
    prefix = virtual/
    separator = /
#   location = virtual:~/virtual
    location = virtual:~/virtual:LAYOUT=maildir++
    list = yes
    inbox = no
    subscriptions = yes
    hidden = no
}

# The default namespace that is visible to IMAP clients
namespace private {
    prefix =
    separator = /
    location = maildir:~/
    list = yes
    inbox = yes
    subscriptions = yes
    hidden = no
}

I dont know if I am retarded in my lack of ability to figure this out or what