[Dovecot] Virtual mailbox plugin, 4 days of struggling

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Tue Apr 28 19:18:16 EEST 2009

Hi Brandon,

judging from your other posts, I think you made some progress on this
already. Nonetheless, I will share my working virtual config here. In
dovecot.conf I have:

  # Virtual mailboxes
  namespace private {
    #  list = no
    prefix = virtual/
    separator = /
    # Store virtual mailbox in a "virtual" subdirectory. We use the fs layout,
    # so nesting of mailboxes is done using normal filesystem nesting.
    location = virtual:~/Mail/virtual:LAYOUT=fs
  }

  protocol imap {
    # Enable virtual mailboxes
    mail_plugins = virtual

Then, in ~/Mail/virtual I have a directory for each virtual mailbox, which
contains a dovecot-virtual file. For example,
~/Mail/virtual/INBOX/dovecot-virtual contains:
  INBOX
  INBOX/Lists
  INBOX/Bulk
  INBOX/MaybeSpam
  Folders/TODO
    all

(Where INBOX and subfolders refers to the INBOX folder in the default
namespace, with no prefix, which also has inbox = yes set). This allows me to
view all my new mail by connecting to imaps://host/virtual/INBOX, and only see
important mail on my phone by connecting to imaps://host/INBOX, i.e., my real
inbox).

I hope this helps a bit,

Matthijs