[Dovecot] questions about compiling Sieve plugin

MercuryShadow palehose at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 00:35:30 EEST 2009

I'm using the info on the wiki to try to compile the sieve plugin for dovecot
on a server running Debian Etch, but I'm getting nowhere because I'm stuck
trying to find the directory to use in the "--with-dovecot=" argument when
running the configure script.  The wiki says:

Compilation is identical among the CMUSieve and the new Sieve plugin. Use
--with-dovecot=<path> to point to dovecot-config file's directory. There are
two possibilities where this could exist:

   1. If you configured Dovecot with --enable-header-install, you'll have
dovecot-config installed in $prefix/lib/dovecot/ directory.
   2. Compiled Dovecot sources' root directory.

The problem is that there is no such file called "dovecot-config" on the
server, and dovecot was installed from the Debian repositories, not
compiled.  There is no /usr/lib/dovecot or /usr/local/lib/dovecot.

I figured that, as is the case with many Debian packages, the libraries
needed to compile would be included in a "dovecot-dev" package, but I
checked and there is no such package in the Debian repos.

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to get this plugin compiled?