[Dovecot] Mail statistics

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 29 03:36:26 EEST 2009

I just committed a mail statistics gathering patch to v1.2:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/fdaf0bda70d5

It keeps track of:

struct mail_private {
..
        /* open(), stat(), .. */
        unsigned long stats_dentry_lookup_count;
        /* fstat() mostly */
        unsigned long stats_attr_lookup_count;
        /* number of files we've opened and read */
        unsigned long stats_files_read_count;
        /* number of bytes we've had to read from files */
        unsigned long long stats_files_read_bytes;
        /* number of cache lookup hits */
        unsigned long stats_cache_hit_count;

So it's possible to write a plugin that does whatever with those values.
You can get them per-command or even per-single-mail-access.

Any thoughts on if those are good variables? Like would it be useful to
split dentry lookups to opens and stats?