[Dovecot] How do I get my mail from fetchmail into dovecot

Andrzej Adam Filip andrzej.filip at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 22:31:45 EEST 2009

Michael Steinbeck-Reeves <michael at steinbeck-reeves.uk.com> wrote:
> [...]
> That is the problem, fetchmail just forwards it to port 25 (I think) and
> I need to work out what to put between fetchmail and dovecot in order to
> get the mail into the correct folders...
>
> And I am just going around in circles on this at the moment. Any hint
> would be appreciated!

You can use mda option provided in fetchmail as SMTP alternative.
I recommend using procmail as mda in ~/.fetchmailrc e.g.:
  mda "/usr/bin/procmail -tY -m /home/user/.procmail/account-1.rc"
and calling dovecot's deliver inside procmail scripts
  DELIVER="/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver"
  DELIVERFLAGS="-e"

  :0 w
  |$DELIVER $DELIVERFLAGS

Using procmail provides nice hook for extra processing e.g.
* spam filtering/tagging
* virus detection
You can make fetchmail use dovecot's deliver direclty in mda option

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
Blessed is he who has reached the point of no return and knows it,
for he shall enjoy living.
  -- W. C. Bennett