[Dovecot] Disabling users whilst still allowing logins with a 'master password'

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Thu Apr 30 20:39:42 EEST 2009

Hi Dominic,

> Normally to disable logins for a user we chmod their mail store to 0
> so they can't access it, which has the same effect, but this obviously
> also prevents the master password from being able to access it.
Would it be feasible to chown the mailstore to some special user and use the
account of that user to access the mailbox instead of the master password? Or,
alternatively, run a second instance of dovecot-imapd (running as that
special) to let the migration process access the mailboxes?

Not very pretty, but since this is only for migration, I'd say it would
suffice if it works?

Gr.

Matthijs