[Dovecot] Fw: Shared mailboxes and INBOX

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Sat Aug 1 01:54:02 EEST 2009

Should users of a shared mailbox be able to see both their personal inbox
and that of the shared mailbox?

Thanks,
Keith

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:50:08 +0100
From: Keith Edmunds <kae at midnighthax.com>
To: dovecot at dovecot.org
Subject: [Dovecot] Shared mailboxes and INBOX

I'm trying to implement a shared mailbox: in other words, we have a
generic email address ("security@") which we want a number of users to be
able to monitor. The problem I have is that users can see folders under
that shared mailbox but can't see the INBOX.

All the users in question have their own INBOX in their private namespace,
so does this raise a conflict with monitoring another mailbox's INBOX?

Configuration:

# dovecot -n
# 1.2.1: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.26-2-686 i686 Debian 5.0.2
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: shared/
  location: maildir:/home/publicfolders:INDEX=~/Maildir/public
  list: yes
namespace:
  type: shared
  separator: /
  prefix: security/
  location:
maildir:/home/securitymailbox/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/securitymailbox
list: yes auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb: