[Dovecot] Mailbox locking problem with iphone and POP3

Bill Dunn - VCI Internet Services admin at vci.net
Mon Aug 3 18:47:29 EEST 2009

    I have a problem I can't seem to fix. I have dovecot configured to do
POP3  with plain text authentication using a MySQL database. I am using
Dovecot 1.0.7 with fcntl locking.

    My problem has been when an iPhone/iPod checks email. The iPhone/iPod
doesn't disconnect with a TCP FIN packet and it leaves the mailbox in a
locked state and prevents the user's desktop from checking email. I have
tried changing the file locking method and other config file options without
any luck.

    Oddly, I am using the last version of cucipop on another server with
fcntl and lockf file locking and it doesn't have this problem.

    If someone could clue me in I'd be very grateful.

    Bill