[Dovecot] All mail in mbox disappears when using Outlook

Frank Leonhardt t200907 at fjl.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 22:03:30 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote on 03 August 2009 19:46:
> On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 11:00 +0100, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> > Corrupt mbox file? Probably not. If you copy the problem one, the copy
> works
> > fine. The really weird thing is that if you rename the problem file
> (using
> > mv) it STILL DOESN'T work. I've considered the possibility that it's got
> > bad lock on it, but if so, how come Squirrel and Eudora have no problem?
>
> If it works in other clients, I can't think of how this could be
> Dovecot's fault. But I guess it's possible that Outlook gets confused by
> something that Dovecot sends. I've no idea, and I can't test it myself..

Yes - it's VERY strange, and very repeatable. Both client machines are
running Outlook 2003 SP3 (Version 11.8217.8221), one on XP and the other on
Vista. Dovecot is running on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0, which is a bit unusual.

It's the Vista machine that broke it - I've never had any problems with the
XP box (in relation to this, anyway!)

I'm currently compiling the latest FreeBSD port of Dovecot (1.1.16) to see
what happens (and rebuilding what looks like the entire planet in the
process - 5+ hours and still building).

Any suggestions about where I could look for a clue will be followed up
immediately. I'm new to Dovecot, but not BSD. My next step will be to put a
network analyser on it.

Thanks, Frank.