[Dovecot] All mail in mbox disappears when using Outlook

Frank Leonhardt t200907 at fjl.co.uk
Tue Aug 4 00:06:21 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote on 03 August 2009 20:11:
> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 20:03 +0100, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> > Any suggestions about where I could look for a clue will be followed up
> > immediately. I'm new to Dovecot, but not BSD. My next step will be to
> put a
> > network analyser on it.
>
> Looking at the imap traffic could help, especially if you can reproduce
> "works" and "doesn't work" cases. You could use also
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog

I saw that a few weeks back and thought I'd give it a go - the analyser
looks less scarey ;-)

I've had some progress. The problem was the same on 1.1.16. However, if I
rename the mbox file to something completely different (rather than adding a
suffix as I had done before) it all suddenly starts to work. The old file
was called "inbox090630". It doesn't like "inbox090630-1" but it's okay
about "Inbox-09-06-30". Moving the file name back makes everything disappear
again. Unsubscribing and subscribing alone makes no difference.

It's obviously looking like an internal Outlook problem. I'll check it out
with other IMAP servers and see if I can confirm it. However, I'll let
Microsoft fix it themselves.

Thanks for all your help!