[Dovecot] Creating a "default" domain

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Aug 4 02:55:43 EEST 2009

Hello,

I'm setting up a test server to work through the issues involved in
bringing a bunch of vpopmail/qmail/courier users into a postfix/dovecot
server.  So far I'm seeing lots of info to aid in the transition.

One thing I'm lost on is that since Dovecot is providing all the auth
mechanisms rather than vpopmail, I'm not sure how to emulate a particular
vpopmail behavior we rely on.

Vpopmail allows for the concept of a "default" domain for authentication.
So if I have a bunch of domains, and one is "example.com", users in that
domain can login with only the username part of their id (ie: "john")
rather than supplying the domain (ie: "john at example.com").  I need to
continue to offer this unless I want to walk a few hundred users through
reconfiguring their mail clients. :)

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Charles