[Dovecot] convert config from 1.1.2_1 to 1.1.16

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Aug 9 01:47:21 EEST 2009

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 8/8/2009, Charles Marcus (CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com) wrote:
>> Start with one of the HowTo's/Examples/Tutorials on the official site
>> that most closely fits your desired install,
>
> Sorry, meant to include a link:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/#HOWTOs.2C_examples_and_tutorials

I'll second that - I just had a look through a number of those yesterday
and there is some excellent information there.  The whole wiki is actually
very well maintained.  I also found some really horrible distro-specific
guides elsewhere - short on theory, long on cut-n-paste config.

I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks for someone new to any sort of
"virtual user" setup is seeing the big picture and figuring out that the
imap server is actually the base for everything else since it handles the
authentication and delivery chores.  Your MTA ends up querying dovecot for
auth, and both pieces share a db table for determining which domains to
accept mail for and where home directories live.  It's simple once you
have it down, but the initial task of putting it all together can be
daunting.

Charles