[Dovecot] More effective mailbox fetching over high RTT link

Ben Winslow rain at bluecherry.net
Mon Aug 10 21:36:41 EEST 2009

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 22:20:41 +0200
Andrzej Adam Filip <andrzej.filip at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you offer some suggestion how to fetch mailbox content over
> high RTT link (with negligible packet loss)?
>
> Currently I use IMAP+IDLE *but* it fails to use full available
> bandwidth due to high RTT and "send command wait for response" nature
> of POP3 and IMAP4 protocols.

The entire purpose of the command tag in IMAP is to facilitate batching
or concurrent commands.  See RFC3501 section 5.5.  It shouldn't be too
difficult to batch requests for new messages, or even select all the
new messages in one request for a single folder.

--
Ben Winslow <rain at bluecherry.net>