[Dovecot] sieve/managesieve and spam filtering

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue Aug 11 05:39:42 EEST 2009

Hello all,

I've got a test environment setup in preparation for a move from
qmail/vpopmail/courier to postfix/padmin/dovecot.  I have a number of
questions that seem to span multiple pieces of software, and this is one
of them...

Our policy with spam filtering is that a user should be able to turn it
off (ie: not put tagged spam into a spam folder, but deliver to their
inbox) if they want to.  Currently qmailadmin and a custom squirrelmail
plugin give people the option to do this by dumping a .qmail file in their
directory that calls a common maildrop script that will deliver spam to
the spam folder.

It looks like I can emulate this with sieve and something that can speak
to Dovecot's managesieve server.  Where I'm stuck is that if I want users
to be able to do other custom filtering using sieve, how do I go about
making sure that my common spam delivery rule does not get clobbered?
This really has me a bit stumped.  I see there's a global sieverc that can
be included, but I need something along the lines of a per-user include
that brings in the spam filtering rule that will "stick" until the user
explicitly deletes it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles