[Dovecot] Dovecot Versions and Debian

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Wed Aug 12 17:43:08 EEST 2009

Rainer Frey wrote:
> On Monday 27 July 2009 16:21:53 Stephan Bosch wrote:
>
>>> or Use any of the packages from:
>>> Dovecot v1.2 for Debian Testing (binary and source):
>>>
>>> deb http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/ testing-auto/dovecot-1.2 main
>>> deb-src http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/ testing-auto/dovecot-1.2 main
>> As the WIKI states: do *NOT* use these packages for systems that need to
>> be *STABLE*! This is rebuilt every hour from repository commits from
>> Timo and myself and if/when one of us commits a mistake, your setup will
>> break accordingly upon upgrade. This is for testing purposes only.
>
> Do you think the source packages could be adapted to build a stable release
> source tarball without much modification? Would it make sense to hast that
> somewhere?

I have plans in that direction, but first I need to properly implement
the builder as it is now (current scripts are ugly). New features include:

1) Has separate scripts for source package composition, package
building, and Apt archive management.
2) Allows the use of slave builders for Debian releases other than
testing or even Ubuntu. Different architectures should be a possibility
as well.
3) Will automatically incorporate changes from the original Debian
package. This is currently triggered manually to prevent problems.
Particularly, the Debian-specific patches tend to break against
dovecot-head.
4) The new composer downloads the official Dovecot tarball releases as a
basis (current composer releases a tarball of its own). [done]
5) Cleaner Debian packages are built. Unused dpatches are removed and
the changelog looks as it is supposed to. [done]
6) New/changed compile warnings are reported by e-mail.

I've come a long way already, but I have no real idea when this will be
finished. Completing the migration of Sieve/ManageSieve (Pigeonhole) to
Dovecot v2.0 currently has priority over the package builder.

Regards,

Stephan