[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu Aug 13 01:46:54 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 18:18 -0400, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> Oh BTW. I think dbmail 2.3 does that. Then again I haven't yet seen a
>> stable dbmail version. But looks like they've released 2.3.6 recently
>> that I haven't tested yet.
>>

> Looks like it even does single instance header values:

LOL - I started off hijacking this thread for SIS - and now you just
invited the next one:  Have you done, or are you aware of, recent
comparisons between Dovecot & dbmail?  I'd like to think Dovecot is
faster, more stable, more feature-rich, and less fattening...

I don't WANT dbmail!

>> The header caching tables used since 2.2 have been replaced with a new
>> schema, optimized for a much smaller storage footprint, and therefor
>> faster access. Headers are now cached using a single-instance storage
>> pattern, similar to the one used for the message parts. This change
>> also introduces for the first time the appearance of views in the
>> database, which is somewhat experimental because of some uncertainties
>> with regard to the possible performance impact this may have.
>>

> But somehow I think the performance isn't going to be very good for
> downloading the full header if it has to piece it together from lots of
> fields stored all around the database.

Do you have performance concerns for what we've been discussing for SIS
in Dovecot?

We can spin off some other threads if you'd prefer to return to your
original question - but I guess the question on everybody's (well, at
least mine) mind right now is will YOU try to implement SIS in the near
future?  Regardless of the backend used?

--
Daniel