[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu Aug 13 01:54:39 EEST 2009

Ha!  Fooled you!  I'm going to reply to the original question instead of
SIS!

Timo Sirainen wrote:
>  * Index files are really more like memory dumps. They're already in an
> optimal format for keeping them in memory, so they can be just mmap()ed
> and used. Doing some kind of translation to another format would just
> make it more complex and slower.
>
>  * Index and mail data is very different. Index data is accessed
> constantly and it must be very low latency or performance will be
> horrible. It practically should be in memory in local machine and there
> shouldn't normally be any network lookups when accessing it.

Ok, I lied.  I'm going to start something new.

Do the indexes contain any of the header information?  In particular,
since I know nothing of the communication between IMAP clients & servers
in general, is the information that is shown in typical client mail
lists (subject, sender, date, etc.) stored in the indexes?  I guess I'm
asking if any planned changes will have an impact in retrieving message
lists in any way.

--
Daniel