[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Thu Aug 13 15:13:31 EEST 2009

On 8/12/2009 3:58 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>> - and I've never heard of any other mail server supporting such a
>>> thing.

>> Exchange does... and is the single and only reason I have *considered*
>> switching to it <shudder> in the past few years...

> I heard that the next Exchange version drops that feature, because it
> typically causes more disk I/O when reading. I don't know if it's still
> possible to enable it optionally though.

Wow... I can hear a lot of sysadmins screaming at the top of their lungs
if/when they discover this the hard way.

I'm also having trouble figuring out how using hard links (or their
equivalent) for messages with large attachments and having only one
instance of the attachment could cause *more* disk I/O than having
dozens/hundred of multiple copies of the message.

Guess its an Exchange 'feature'... ;)

--

Best regards,

Charles