[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Fri Aug 14 13:19:51 EEST 2009

> But for example, what I'd really like to be able to do is say something
> like:
>
> SiS_mode = binary,64K
>
> So only binary attachments over 64KB in size would be checksummed and
> single instance stored. I don't care bout the headers, or body text, or
> tiny (< 64KB) sig attachments, or text attachments (PGP sigs, etc).

Also, I don't care about putting them in an SQL db...

It would be good enough for me to also be able to do:

SiS_dir = /var/virtual/mail/attachments

Have all attachments dumped in there and hardlinked to each message, and
just use a simple index file in the directory with the attachment name
and MD5 checksum (if MD5 is good enough - I'd like to avoid collisions too).

This way the attachments could even be stored in some other filesystem,
to keep the big stuff off the main server.

--

Best regards,

Charles