[Dovecot] More Migration Questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 14 18:45:24 EEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 15:39 +0000, Richard Hobbs wrote:
> > That's better actually, you don't then have to add those ~/mail/
> > compabilitity namespaces.
>
> Well, i haven't added any ~/mail/ compatibility namespaces knowingly...
> i guess they might be in the default config (my version has been built
> for debian), but how would i check?
>
> Basically, the problem is that some users have their folders in
> "~/mail/" and others have their folders in "~/".

This is kind of what I meant by the compatibility namespaces. If some
users have ~/mail/ and whatelse, you'll probably want to add such
namespaces to Dovecot. See
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces#Backwards_Compatibility:_UW-IMAP

> I want to convert both, and also and up with a standard location in the
> maildir setup. I guess the best way to do this is to just copy
> everyone's mailboxes from "~/" into "~/mail/" before i run the
> conversion, right?

That should work, as long as you can find all the mailboxes (or are all
files in ~/ mailboxes?)

> As long as people don't object to their folders
> potentially changing places within their IMAP client, everything will be
> OK, right?

With the compatibility namespace it should be pretty transparent to
clients. Also you'll probably want to set separator=/ in all the
namespaces.