[Dovecot] dovecot/sieve current date

Stephan Bosch s.bosch at utwente.nl
Wed Aug 19 16:49:58 EEST 2009

bart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way in sieve to get the current date, preferably in YYYYMMDD
> format?
As per version v0.1.12 this is available with the new date extension.
This will be released soon, I guess tomorrow.

To what I've found it's hard to achieve. I have tried including
> a :global sieve script in which I would set the current date to a
> certain variable and overwrite this included script every day. But to my
> disappointement variables set in an included script do not exist in the
> original script...
That is correct. You need to declare variables global first. Read the
specification for more information (linked at pigeonhole.dovecot.org).
With recent Sieve versions the command to do this is called 'global'.

> In fact what I want to achieve is that some actions like forwarding or
> vacation messages are performed from a certain date untill another date.
> Which would allow a user to define a timeperiod in which the autoreply
> or forward should be done and automatically stop without updating the
> sieve script again. Comparing start and stopdate is cake, but just
> getting today's date seems to be a hassle, any ideas?
Yes, have a little patience :) If you really can't wait, you can try the
Mercurial version.

Regards,

Stephan.