[Dovecot] dovecot auth is case insensitive, but fs is sensitive :)

pod pod at herald.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 19 17:17:41 EEST 2009

Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 01:41 -0400, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> Dovecot auth isn't case-insensitive. But MySQL is, and I guess you're
>> using it? There are several different ways around it.
>

> Which is not a problem since most (all) MTA's  normally treat user@  as
> case insensitive.

But the username in the authentication db is completely independent of any
localpart that might be used to deliver to a mailbox - access to which is
authenticated by providing creds for that username.

I don't see how the fact that MTAs may or may not consider localparts to
be case-sensitive has any bearing on the case-sensitivity of usernames
stored in the authentication database.