[Dovecot] New need to delete dovecot-acl-list in dovecot 1.2?

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Fri Aug 21 06:40:56 EEST 2009

I just started testing 1.2.3 then 1.2.4 this week, I was too busy
earlier in the year to look at 1.2 at all.  So far so good except I
noticed newly granted permissions via ACL on some newly created public
mailboxes were not visible by the client.  It seemed to be a version
thing because the same files work fine concurrently on a server running
1.1.x.  I came across this in the ACLwiki which seems to fix it:

    List cache

dovecot-acl-list file lists all mailboxes that have "l" rights assigned.
If you manually add/edit dovecot-acl files, you may need to delete the
dovecot-acl-list to get the mailboxes visible.

I don't ever recall needing to do this before, and it sounds similar to
this which I have had set to 10 for a long time:
# cache_secs parameter
# specifies how many seconds to wait between stat()ing dovecot-acl file
# to see if it changed.

All of my dovecot-acl files are symlinks so hopefully it runs stat() on
the target, but just in case I tried recreating the symlink afterwards
but it didn't help and its over NFS so who knows if the running dovecot
'saw' it.

Do I need to debug this behavior further or will I just have to live
with remembering to delete the dovecot-acl-list file when I manually
change dovecot-acl contents?  Thanks.