[Dovecot] critical X-UID reordering problem after upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 23 17:15:34 EEST 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 9:18 PM, Rob Henderson wrote:

> NonJunk $Forwarded $MDNSent $Label2 $Label4
>
> However, the last message (with the largest X-UID) is:

> So, this UID 59665 is larger than last used UID on the X-IMAPbase
> line!
> I have to assume this is a bad thing, right?

Right.

> But, how did this happen?  I know it was like this on several inboxes
> (maybe even most of them) and we had been running dovecot 1.1.3
> previously for quite a while.  So, was this a bug in 1.1.3?

I think that's pretty likely. I'd have thought you had more problems
with mbox in 1.1.3, since looking at the NEWS file I see a lot of mbox
fixes since then..

>   And,
> perhaps more importantly for others who may hit this same problem, is
> there some way that 1.2.x can recognize this condition and compensate
> for it without doing the really nasty reordering?

Not really. I think it's anyway only a problem for people who were
running old 1.1 versions for a long time :) You probably would have
had the same problem when upgrading to a newer v1.1.