[Dovecot] Weird mirgration problem

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Wed Aug 26 19:36:49 EEST 2009

Most likely non-Dovecot, but I'd appreciate any comments on WTF might be
going on here.
Preparatory to migration from mbox to maildir format on our AIX mail
server, I am migrating from the JFS filesystem (being deprecated by IBM)
to JFS2 to better handling the jump in the number of files.
Two nights ago, I took the first step and migrated the IT homedir
filesystem: copied it to a scratch disk, melted down the FS and
recreated it as a JFS2 FS.  In order to keep changes from happening to
it during this process, I killed off DC (dovecot -n ouput is appended to
bottom of this note) and dropped the export of the FS.  The bringup was
a little ragged due to time constraints and the fact that I had trouble
re-establishing the export.  FWIW, the homedirs and Inobx FSes are
mounted by a majordomo mailing list server.
Everything went fine except for an anomaly with old pre-existing mailing
list emails in my INBOX and that of a few others.  Note that the inbox
FS wasn't touched by this process, just the homedir FS for the IT
department.  What happened there was that the mbox headers went from
looking like this:

  From owner-hcrcstaff  Mon Aug 24 14:53:29 2009

 >From majordom  Mon Aug 24 14:53:29 2009
  the rest of the normal header here