[Dovecot] Authentication failed, failure to login after changed password

linuxvinit vinit_j1 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 27 09:52:09 EEST 2009

I have installed dovecot 1.0 mail  server on debian linux.  I am using unix
authentication to login the mail accounts.
We developed one web mail application whcih use imap protocol  and send mail
fro sending the mail.
We are creating unix user through our application and able to login to the
mail account succesfully and do all opeartion on that.
But once user change password through our application or directly on unix
commaqnd prompt then we are unable to login to mail application it gives
authentication failed error.

Even user can use ssh, sftp after changing password. Everything works except
mail account.

Here is the error excerpt from log files (mail.log and auth.log )
respectively.

Aug 26 10:58:37 digibeanz dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (1
authentication attempts): user=<child2>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1,
lip=127.0.0.1, TLS

Aug 26 12:22:00 digibeanz dovecot-auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth):
authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=child2
rhost=127.0.0.1  user=child2

Please help me. This is very urgent