[Dovecot] Question about ACL/flags

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 28 00:28:31 EEST 2009

Okay, I'm cruising the wiki, and it is at best confusing to me.  Maybe
someone on the list can help me out quickly?

Here is what I have:

dovecot 1.1.18, mbox format, currently no acl/namespace/etc.  All works great.

What I want to be able to do:

Have an email account (or folder or mailbox) which can be accessed by
several people (say 3) with per-user seen flags.  That is, say 3 people
all access the mail but each user has their own seen flag for the messages.
This would hopefully be done with mbox still, if possible, but I'm willing
to try a mixed mbox/maildir setup if required to accomplish the goal.

Questions:

1) Can I do this with 1.1.18, or do I need to upgrade?
2) Do I need to set :CONTROL in mail_location, and if so, what should
    I set it to, and what does this control exactly (more precisely, does
    this info need to be HA or not, etc)  Is this where the seen flag info
    will be stored (or is that in INDEXES)?
3) Can I do this with mbox only, or do I need maildir, or does it depend
    on dovecot version?
4) Any additional help you can give me...

I basically understand the ideas behind it all, but from the wiki I'm
confused exactly what I need to do, and what version I might need.  (If
the wiki example is for dovecot 1.2+, does that mean it won't work in
1.1, or just that it has to be done differently, etc).

Any help (clearing up my obvious confusion) would be appreciated...
Step by step directions would be even better! :)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.