[Dovecot] different views of a imap account

Ajaxster ajaxster at got-brains.com
Thu Dec 3 01:21:01 EET 2009

Hi,

I've looked around a few times to see if I could figure the answer to this
question but I think I may not know the right question to ask...

The scenario I have is that I'm running dovecot, exim and procmail on one
server (using maildir storage) and also have apache on another server.  I
can run squirrel mail, roundcube, etc. all on the web server and access
all my email just fine.  I can run outlook or thunderbird or other imap
clients just fine too.

I have some smart phones that support imap mail servers, but when I set
them up to connect to my server, the client seems to have to sync up data
on all the mailboxes (lots of headers to download).  All I really want on
my remote (phone based) imap clients is to view my inbox.  I believe that
the subscriptions are done globally in that every client sees the same
subscriptions, so that doesn't seem like the way to narrow down what my
phone imap clients see.

Does what I'd like to do make sense?  Is there a way to configure dovecot
to support this?  Could I just run two servers on the same machine at
different ports to support this?

I'd love to hear about how others have approached this or similar
problems.  I've seen a lite email client that can be run on an apache
server that wap browsers can access to view mail.  That works okay, but
with phones having built in imap clients, that seems like a more
streamlined way to go ;-)

Thanks for you thoughts!

--
Jay