[Dovecot] Dovecot Deliver CPU usage

Aravind Divakaran aravind.divakaran at yukthi.com
Thu Dec 3 13:50:37 EET 2009

> On Dec 1, 2009, at 4:48 AM, Aravind Divakaran wrote:
>
>>> You mean a single deliver process can run a long time with 100% CPU?
>>> Getting a strace of the process could be helpful.
>>
>> Yes, dovecot deliver process is eating a lot of CPU. please find my
>> strace
>> output on the below link.
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/m6965f4ab
>
> strace -tt would have actually been also more helpful, so it would have
> included timestamps. Are you using NFS or something similar for your
> filesystem in /home? The strace does show that Dovecot seems to be reading
> from a file that it just wrote to, so there's something non-optimal but it
> necessarily shouldn't be that slow.

You can find my strace with timestamp on the below link.

http://pastebin.com/m2942fbdd

My /home partition using san storage with ocfs filesystem.

I have configured mailarchivel, where in which a copy of all mails will
sent to one mailbox. In the archive mailbox using sieve script i am
sorting the mail according to username, year, month and delivering it.

When ever i am removing my max procs option limit from 4 to default in
postfix. System cpu usage become high. Then i have to put the limit again
to make my cpu usage go down.

Rgds,
Aravind