[Dovecot] Dovecot Deliver CPU usage

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 3 17:05:21 EET 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 5:50 AM, Aravind Divakaran wrote:

>> strace -tt would have actually been also more helpful, so it would have
>> included timestamps. Are you using NFS or something similar for your
>> filesystem in /home? The strace does show that Dovecot seems to be reading
>> from a file that it just wrote to, so there's something non-optimal but it
>> necessarily shouldn't be that slow.
>
> You can find my strace with timestamp on the below link.
>
> http://pastebin.com/m2942fbdd

That's only 400 milliseconds. I thought the delivers would be running for at least a few seconds? Can you show such a strace -tt?

> My /home partition using san storage with ocfs filesystem.

Anyway I suppose this could be the reason, if the problem is the reads..

You could also try if it helps when you increase this in src/deliver/deliver.c:

#define MAIL_MAX_MEMORY_BUFFER (1024*128)

#define MAIL_MAX_MEMORY_BUFFER (1024*1024*100)

i.e. 100 MB (or whatever is large enough for most mails).