[Dovecot] Excluding ALT maildir from showing in main INBOX

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 3 17:12:04 EET 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 6:56 AM, OBRAM - Tomasz Przewlucki wrote:

> I'm not a programmer and don't know if such feature is hard to code but theoretically extended expire plugin could work in that way.
> It could use new variable f.e. ARCHIVE (similar to ALT ) to select location for archive and i think ALT and ARCHIVE could exclude each other from using together (for easier implementation, ARCHIVE can play role of ALT with such difference that it's contents wouldn't show in standard INBOX and rest of standard folders.).

I don't think any of this is necessary. You'd simply create another namespace for the archives, something like:

namespace private {
  location = dbox:~/dbox
}

namespace private {
  prefix = archive/
  location = dbox:~/dbox/archive
}

So now the only problem is how to get the expire plugin to do the moves.

> Are there any chances to implement such functionality into dovecot in near future (4-5 months or so) ?

It wouldn't be very difficult.. Basically the mail_expunge() call in expire-tool.c would need to copy the message to archive before the expunge. And then it would need more configuration code. I'll see about adding this to v2.0, but I'm a bit busy now..