[Dovecot] virtual domains and SSL certificates

Dick Middleton dick at fouter.net
Mon Dec 7 00:11:24 EET 2009

On 12/06/09 18:24, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 04:23:36PM +0000, Dick Middleton wrote:
>> I bring it up again because I've just been trying the release
>> candidate for Thunderbird 3.  This has a config wizard which derives
>> from ones email address the mail server address etc.  It doesn't
>> handle SSL virtual mail servers very well because of this problem.
>
> I'd consider that a bug in the wizard, wouldn't you?

Yes, but hard to resolve as they seem to be getting server from either
email address or MX neither of which reliably lead to imap server.
Trouble is it works for google and other popular providers.  And it is
quite an infectious idea.

> It also assumes that the IMAP protocol has SNI support. IMAP != HTTP.

I thought SNI was done in TLS/SSL (before HTTP/IMAP was started).

> I don't know, but my thought is "don't hold your breath."

That's OK, tomorrow will do :-)

Dick