[Dovecot] Mbox corruption

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 7 20:41:30 EET 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 08:29 -0700, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> I am trying to track down an mbox corruption issue that has been
> happening for one of our users. It appears that the mbox file is getting
> truncated and the all important From line no longer exists which then
> leads to the mbox being useless. It also appears, as in most
> truncations, that parts of the mbox are being lost.

Can you give me some specific examples of what the corruption looks
like? For example you could put the mbox through
http://dovecot.org/tools/mbox-anonymize.pl

> I am not sure how to
> debug this to find out whether this is a client or server issue and any
> pointers would be appreciated.

Client can't corrupt mailbox data no matter what they do. But it's
possible that the user/client is doing something a bit differently than
everyone else and that causes it.

What OS and filesystem do you use? It's a local filesystem and not NFS
or something? Does Dovecot log any errors (about anything)?