[Dovecot] permission issue when moving / copying a message

Jean-Christophe Baptiste jc at phocean.net
Tue Dec 8 00:40:12 EET 2009

Hi all,

I am having an issue with permission that may be a bug.

The issue happens when moving / copying a message from a folder to
another :  sometimes the message gets the wrong permission (umask).

The typical use case is, inside a maildir box and within imap, moving a
spam message to the spam folder.
Then a cron script is supposed to access to it to feed the antispam
database.

I wish the message file to be created with umask 0002 but sometimes it
creates it with 0022.

There is an example in my maildir :

# ls -la /home/vmail/domain.com/contact/.spam/cur
total 84
drwxrwx--- 2 vmail vmail  4096 déc.  7 23:19 .
drwxrwx--- 5 vmail vmail  4096 déc.  7 23:19 ..
-rw------- 2 vmail vmail  1303 déc.  7 14:37
1260211373.M462708P12977.genki:2,S
-rw-rw---- 2 vmail vmail 73090 juin  8 14:57
1260224357.M884229P14370.genki:2,S

As you can see, one file is OK and the other one not.
Parents directories have the correct permissions, which should be pushed
to the children (according to the doc).

With my current configuration, it is something I can reproduce it often
but I could not find what exactly triggers it.

Thank you in advance for looking at this case and for your help,

Regards,

--
Jean-Christophe Baptiste <jc at phocean.net>