[Dovecot] How do i translate the old default_mail_env setting?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Dec 8 01:29:44 EET 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 11:35:43AM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 17:13 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Appreciate it.  Is there an overview of your IMAP/POP3 server?
> > 	Overview, tuturial, what dovecot does? newest features, etc?
>
> Well, there's http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailServerOverview and
> http://dovecot.org/talks/
>
> > 	The fellow who set up dovecoat origially has [ what I believe
> > 	to be] an unnecessary SASL service.  I would like to avoid all
> > 	redundancies, save CPU, troubles, and so on.   ...
>
> Your SMTP server might be authenticating using the SASL service.

	Yes, but because much of this was new I simply followed my
	friend's guidelines blindly.  Here are what I did (cut-and-pasted)
	without understand much:

	+++
	Configuring Mail Services
	Now we will begin with configuring the Sendmail SMTP server,
	with SMTP-AUTH. When we compile Sendmail, we want it to
	recognize that we will use SASL2 for smtp authentication. So,
	we need to add these items to the file /etc/make.conf:

	SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
	SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
	SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2

	Now, compile sasl2 and sasl2-saslauthd (in 1 operation):
	# cd /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl2-saslauthd; make install
	clean

	Check the contents of /usr/local/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf, make
	sure it says: pwcheck_method: saslauthd
	# cat /usr/local/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf
	pwcheck_method: saslauthd

	Configure saslauthd to load at boot. Add this to the end of
	/etc/rc.conf:
	saslauthd_enable="YES"
	Start saslauthd
	# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/saslauthd start

	Now its time to recompile sendmail with SASL2 support.
	# cd /usr/src/lib/libsm; make clean; make obj; make depend;
	make
	# cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil; make clean; make obj; make
	depend; make
	# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail; make clean; make obj; make
	depend; make; make install
	+++

	This is from Jon Horne's own wiki pages,
	http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/Deploying_a_FreeBSD_6.2_Server
	from 2007.  Am I right that I no longer need the "cyrus-sasl2-saslauthd"
	daemon and can get rid of it?  I plan to use Jon's wiki page
	and update using dovecot alone for my own how-to on building a
	mail server.  --It is one of three howto writeups I am working
	on.  In short, I want especially mail to be lean and *correct*.
	Mostly correct!

    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php