[Dovecot] different views of a imap account

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 9 21:37:21 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 15:21 -0800, Ajaxster wrote:
> I have some smart phones that support imap mail servers, but when I set
> them up to connect to my server, the client seems to have to sync up data
> on all the mailboxes (lots of headers to download).  All I really want on
> my remote (phone based) imap clients is to view my inbox.

Use a symlink to your inbox, for example if your normal maildir is in
~/Maildir/ create:

mkdir ~/Maildir/mobile
ln -s .. ~/Maildir/mobile/.INBOX

Then make the Maildir/mobile/ accessible. If your IMAP client supports
configurable namespace prefix, you could create another namespace:

namespace private {
  prefix = mobile.
  location = maildir:~/Maildir/mobile
  list = no
  hidden = yes
}

Or alternatively create another user account that only sees the INBOX.