[Dovecot] After upgrading to 1.2 - absolute path questions

Richard Stockton dovecot at richardleestockton.org
Wed Dec 9 21:38:52 EET 2009

At 11:21 AM 12/9/2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 11:13 -0800, Richard Stockton wrote:
> > >password_query = .., '/mail/' || home as userdb_mail, ..
> > >
> > >Then the mail_location in dovecot.conf will be completely ignored.
> >
> > I assume you meant to have me change it to:
> > password_query = .., '/mail/' || home as userdb_home, ..
> > since there is no "mail" field in my DB table.
>
>No, I meant userdb_mail. The "mail" field isn't about having such field
>in database, but about presenting the mail field to Dovecot. Or actually
>I messed it up anyway, I meant:
>
>password_query = .., 'maildir:/mail/' || home as userdb_mail, ..

Sorry, that doesn't work either.  I get an "imap protocol error" in
squirrelmail.

I see your other mail suggesting "mail_location = maildir:~/", but I
don't understand that one either.  Doesn't the tilde refer to a local
user on the server?  We have no local users, just users in the DB, so
how would "maildir:~/" work?

I hesitate to turn on debugging because these servers are in heavy use.
Sorry to be a pain.
  - Richard