[Dovecot] Cannot read mdir inbox.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 10 00:18:43 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 17:13 -0500, Marc Dufour wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 17:04 -0500, Marc Dufour wrote:
> >> Dovecot is totally and merrily oblivious to maildir INBOX installed in
> >> the usual /var/spool/mail/%u
> > ..
> >> User mail is in ~/Maildir.
> >
> > So you want INBOX to be in mbox format in /var/spool/mail/%u, and
> > everything else in Maildir format in ~/Maildir?
>
> Not at all. I want 100% pure, natural maildir.
>
> Exim already delivers fine in maildir.

So /var/spool/mail/%u/ is a maildir? If so, your settings should already
work correctly. What exactly is the problem? Nothing shows up in INBOX?
Does Dovecot log any errors? http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging

Also potentially helpful things:
 - mail_debug=yes and look at the logs
 - strace -p `pidof imap`, select INBOX and see what files it tries to
access